Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I'm glad I've grown a bit.

When I was younger, I was far less tolerant. For people who know me now- it's probably pretty hard to believe I was even less tolerant than I am now, but- yeah.
(As a pre-teen, I was pretty much a bigot. I didn't get it from my parents, but I was swayed by someone else.)
Hitting my teen years, I realized that I'd made serious errors in judgement in regards to how I viewed the world and the people in it. I slowly realized I didn't need to hate, fear or ostracize people who were different from me. As I got older still, I realized that- not only should I shun those people- I should embrace them because they were different and hopefully learn from them.
Our differences aren't inherently bad or wrong. They what make us, as a species, a wondrous amalgam of ideologies and identities. As such, I think we all owe it to each other to be tolerant and accepting of those differences. It's exceedingly rare- considering the population of this little ball of rock- that those differences mean danger. As such, I was very happy to hear the news today that the US Supreme Court had ruled the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional.
Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing the majority opinion, said the Court finds that "DOMA writes inequality into the entire United States Code."
"Under DOMA, same-sex married couples have their lives burdened, by reason of government decree, in visible and public ways.
"DOMA's principal effect is to identify a subset of state-sanctioned marriages and make them unequal."
Congratulations. Now, can the other 30 states get rid of their idiotic bans on same-sex marriages?
By the way, if you think that "real" marriages are somehow threatened because of today's ruling- you're an idiot. Please save me the trouble and fuck off now. If you're reading via Facebook and this is your view- please "Unfriend" me now. I have no patience to deal with people who think that others should be discriminated against because of who they love.

No comments:

Post a Comment